Monday, May 5, 2008

A Great Day

So little fact about my roots. I come from a birding family. Yes I said it my family will take walks and trips to see birds. Now the truth is that it is only since my brother Corey found this hobby that the family went all crazy. My Mom has always had a bird book and binoculars, But when Corey stopped making fun of her and picked up his own set of binoculars. The it was okay for all of us. I tell you this because it may explain a lot about where I come from... maybe. Anyway, there is a canyon south of Tucson called Madera Canyon. There is a bird there called and elegant Trogan. The birds in Tucson that are my family have all gotten special little trips to see this special bird. All except the family with the bird repent (Lucas and Eden). However, I recently tool a trip, kids and all to Gilbert AZ with my Mom. We stayed at Dave's house and let the kids play. Meanwhile back at the ranch (that would be the title of a cute kids book) DJ and Corey decided to go and take a bird trip. So guess who hasn't seen the trogan now? That's right me.
Finally I told my brother last night that if DJ can go without me I can go without him. So he picked me up at 7am. After dropping Jason off at Grandma's of course and we went to Madera Canyon!! Whew Hoo! As so as we exited the car we heard the trogans calling. Needless to say and go into too much detail. I not only saw Mr and Mrs. Trogan. but a Northern pygmy owl, Flame Tanager, Hepatic Tanager, Hooded Oreal, black headed grosbeak (a ton of them), broad billed hummingbird, Lazui Bunting(mr and mrs), pygmy nuthatch, acorn woodpecker, and some turkey's just to name the fun stuff. Yea I had a great day and was home by noon.
- if you would like to see some of these things check out my brothers website. Please look at the Trogan and you will understand why we are so excited.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corsue

4 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

That is so awesome. Mark and I can't wait to come down and see all the AZ birds. There are some great ones here and I keep a list of what we have seen. Fun stuff, birding.

AZ Allreds said...

Those are gorgeous birds -- don't you love the desert life? It's always been a favorite of mine out of all the places I have lived. You are too good at blogging! I had to take some time to read up on your! Hope all is well.

The J said...

Holy Cow! I checked out Corey's photo's and I want to know what kind of camera he has! Can you ask him for me? We are shopping for a new camera. I love your blogs, you are so cute!

Kim said...

Funny you mention birds. I saw this awesome bird of prey perched on a light post the other day (amazing creature!) and it reminded me of how you are a self-declared nerd when it comes to birds. I think we each have something we are nerds about. You just gotta own it!